Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 provides several standard, prebuilt themes. Find a standard theme that has a look that you like, and then modify it by changing the colors, the fonts, or the line and fill effects. You can then save it as your very own custom theme.
In this article
- Beginners may want to see What is a theme?
- To apply a theme to your presentation, see Apply a theme to add color and style to your presentation.
As shown below, theme colors contain four text and background colors, six accent colors, and two hyperlink colors. Under Sample, you can see how the text font styles and colors look before you settle on your color combination.
To change the theme colors, do the following:
- On the Design tab, in the Themes group, click Colors, and then click Create New Theme Colors .
TIP The colors inside the Colors button represent the theme applied to your presentation.
- Under Theme colors, click the button next to the name of the theme color element that you want to change.
- Under Theme Colors, do one of the following:
- Click the down arrow of the color that you want to change, and then choose a color from the main list.
- Click More Colors, and do one of the following:
- On the Standard tab, select a color.
- On the Custom tab, enter a recipe for a color that you want.
Repeat steps 2and 3 for all of the theme color elements that you want to change.
TIP Under Sample, you can see the effect of the changes that you make.
- In the Name box, type an appropriate name for the new theme colors, and then click Save.
TIP If you want to return all theme color elements to their original theme colors, click Reset before you click Save.
As shown below, you can change the heading and body text fonts of an existing theme to meet the style of your presentation.
Under Sample, you can see samples of the heading and body text styles that you've chosen.
- On the Design tab, in the Themes group, click Fonts , and then clickCreate New Theme Fonts.
- In the Heading font and Body font boxes, select the fonts that you want to use.
- In the Name box, type an appropriate name for the new theme fonts, and then click Save.
Theme effects are sets of lines and fill effects. As shown below, you can choose from different groupings of effects to meet the style of your presentation.
Although you cannot create your own set of theme effects, you can choose the effect that you want to use in your own document or presentation theme.
- On the Design tab, in the Themes group, click Effects .
- Click the effect that you want to use.
Save the changes that you make to the colors, fonts, or line and fill effects of an existing theme so that you can apply it to other documents or presentations.
- On the Design tab, in the Themes group, click More .
- Click Save Current Theme.
- In the File name box, type an appropriate name for the theme, and then click Save.
TIP The revised theme is saved as a .thmx file in the Document Themes folder on your local drive and it is automatically added to the list of custom themes on theDesign tab in the Themes group.